Steak with Saffron & Sumac Mushroom Gravy
Salisbury steak is more like a cross between a hamburger patty and a meatloaf. The juicy ground beef, mixed with the goodness of valuable spices like saffron and also sometimes enhanced by the addition of dry onion soup mix or bread crumbs, is shaped into round patties which are then browned in a pan or skillet. The browned beef patties are simmered at low heat in a mushroom gravy. You can also introduce your variations in the mushroom gravy. For instance, you can make it with fresh mushrooms, saffron powder, beef stock and powdered sumac to give it that bright colour and a slight touch of acidity.
Here we are going to share with you a delectable easy to cook Salisbury steak recipe. This dish can be served with various side dishes including plain rice, mashed potatoes, carrots and peas. Moreover, you can never go wrong with scrumptious buttery baby potatoes or fried chips.
Serving size: The recipe yields 4-6 servings.
For Meat Seasoning:
- Lean Ground Beef (1 ½ pound or 0.68 kg)
- Ketchup (2 tablespoons)
- Beef Bouillon (crushed or powdered, 1 cube)
- Butter (1 tablespoon)
- Dry mustard (2 teaspoons)
- Freshly ground Salt and Pepper (Acc. To taste)
- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Plain or seasoned bread crumbs (1/2 cup)
- Worcestershire sauce (1 teaspoon)
For Mushroom Gravy:
- Onion (1 piece)
- Sumac (1 teaspoon)
- Cornstarch (1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper (As per taste)
- Saffron (3 to 4 threads)
- Beef broth (2 cups)
Preparation of Marinated Steak
- First, we need to prepare our minced beef by adding the seasonings. Take a bowl and add into it minced meat, plain or seasoned bread crumbs dry mustard, 1 tablespoon of ketchup crushed bouillon cube, salt, freshly ground black pepper and half a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Knead the beef well with the seasonings until everything is well-combined.
- Now take a large chunk of minced beef and made them into a big round ball. After that gently press the ball between the palms of your hands into oval patties. Repeat the same procedure and make almost 4 to 6 oval patties.
- Once the patties are ready set them aside and cut 1 medium-sized onion into halves and then into thin slices. If you do not want onion slices in your recipe then you can also finely chop them and use them in the gravy.
- Take the saffron strands and coarsely grind them with the help of a pestle and mortar. Then add a tablespoon of warm water into the coarsely ground saffron and let it sit for a few minutes.
- First, you need to fry the beef patties in some butter and olive oil. Take a medium or large skillet and pour some olive oil into it. When the oil gets warm add one tablespoon of butter into it.
- Bring the heat to medium-high and place the beef patties next to each other with some space between them.
- Fry the patties into the oil and butter for about 3 to 4 minutes and then flip sides and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. you need to fry them until the pink colour of the raw minced meat disappears.
- If you still feel like they are not cooked, fry for 1 more minute but remember to keep on flipping sides after every 30 seconds to prevent them from burning.
- Now in the same skillet cook your gravy that goes over the top of the beef patties. For this, remove any excess grease and reduce the heat to medium.
- After that, add thinly sliced or diced onions. Cook the onions for about 1 to 2 minutes until they become translucent or golden brown.
- At this point, add the beef stock, saffron-infused water, ketchup, and sumac powder.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and then add cornstarch by dissolving it in a tablespoon of water or beef broth. Remember to continuously stir the mixture after adding cornstarch to prevent any lumps. Cook for several minutes until the mixture thickens and the quantity is reduced.
- Add some salt and freshly ground pepper according to your taste and requirement. At this point, you can also add one or two tablespoons of beef broth if needed for thinning the mixture.
- Now take your patties and place them in the gravy. Using a big spoon, scoop the gravy and pour it over the patties. Cover the patties completely with the gravy and then let it simmer for a couple more minutes.
Serve your delectably cooked Salisbury steak with rice, or mashed potatoes or any side dish of your choice and enjoy it with your family.