Southern Fried Chicken with Slaw
Southern Fried Chicken with Saffron & Slaw
The American South is home to some iconic dishes, and fried chicken is one of the most popular and well-loved for a reason. Crispy coated chicken with flavour in every bite is the perfect sharing meal and with the addition of the divine Saffron, our Southern Fried Chicken blend will fly off the table every time you make it.
• Premium Persian Saffron
• Ideal for any cut of chicken
• Easy to open re-sealable pouch also keeps the spice blend fresh
Recipe: Southern Fried Chicken with Slaw
This recipe will satisfy any chicken craving! You’ll need
- 2 tablespoons of Southern Fried Chicken + Saffron
- 8 free-range chicken thighs or drumsticks (or a combination) with the skin on and bone-in
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 200 g plain flour
- Cooking oil of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Half a red cabbage
- A whole red apple, grated with the skin on
- A whole large carrot
- Thinly sliced red onion (to taste)
- Coleslaw dressing to taste (purchased or made fresh)
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour over the buttermilk, cover the bowl with a lid or cling wrap and leave in the fridge overnight, or 8 hours.
- Once the chicken has finished the buttermilk bath remove the bowl from the fridge and take the cover off.
- Fill a separate bowl with your flour and thoroughly mix Southern Friend Chicken + Saffron spice blend in
- Place the two bowls side by side
- Preheat the oven to 180°C then take a deep frying pan and fill halfway up with oil (enough to half cover each piece of chicken) place the pan on medium heat.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and one at a time dip into the flour ensuring even, thick coverage until all pieces are coated.
- Fry in the oil for around 5 minutes until they are crunchy and brown then place on a tray and into the oven for 20 - 30 minute until the chicken is cooked.
- While the chicken is in the oven (or the night before) make your slaw, combine the shredded cabbage with apple, carrot and onion in a bowl then mix the coleslaw dressing through until it’s evenly distributed.
Serve the chicken with the slaw and enjoy!
Tip: For some extra Saffron love try drizzling our Saffron Honey over the fried chicken for a sumptuous and sticky sweet/savoury delight!