Saffron Flavoured Salt & Pepper Calamari
Salt and Pepper Calamari spiced with Saffron
Certain dishes are guaranteed favourites whether dining out, making a mid-week dinner for the family or hosting friends on the weekend. Salt & Pepper Calamari is one of those dishes. With our Salt & Pepper Calamari + Saffron blend we have done the hard work of grinding and combining spices for you and delivered a perfect blend ideal for calamari or any type of seafood.
• Premium Persian Saffron
• Ideal for any seafood; calamari, fish, prawns or scallops
• Easy to open re-sealable pouch also keeps the spice blend fresh
Recipe: Salt & Pepper Calamari with a couple of spicy friends
Enjoy this easy, delicious meal with just a handful of ingredients! You’ll need
- 2 tablespoons of Salt & Pepper Calamari + Saffron spice blend
- 4 small squid, clean and cut into bite-size pieces, scored in a crosshatch pattern 2 egg
- Whites, lightly beaten
- 2 long red chilli’s, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Half a cup of rice flour
- Cooking oil of choice for deep frying
- Lime or lemon wedges, to serve
- Coriander, to serve
- Optional, extra fresh chilli and/or fresh ginger - thinly sliced and fried
- After cutting the squid rinse, then dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the rice flour and Salt & Pepper calamari + Saffron mix and set to one side.
- Add the egg whites to a separate bowl and set to one side.
- Fill a pan or wok with around 5 cm of oil and heat on high.
- While the pan is heating dip the squid into the egg whites, then into the flour and spice mix, you could do this in a large zip lock bag to ensure even coverage.
- Shake off the excess, and deep fry in small batches, being sure not to overfill the pan so each piece can cook evenly.
- Add the cooked pieces to a large bowl.
- Quickly fry the spring onion and garlic in the oil (20 seconds max) and remove, drain on paper towel then stir it through the bowl of squid.
- Mix in the fresh sliced chilli and top with coriander to serve.
- Serve with a fresh green salad as a nice raw balance, or if you’re feeling the need for chips homemade fries or wedges baked in the oven are great.
Tip: For some extra Saffron love try serving our Saffron Honey in a little pot on the table, it’s a sweet/savoury delight perfect for dipping calamari!