Saffron Cookies Topped With Pistachio and Almond - Gluten Free
This beautifully adapted recipe has been created based on an Old Persian formula that I learned from my beautiful, great grandmother.
Saffron has a long history of usage in my heritage for its countless health benefits!
I present this cookie to those who embrace the delicate saffron flavour!
Please don't hesitate to send us your questions and remember; saffron is our love, passion and business.
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 3-4 cups Almond meal powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 3 teaspoon rose petals powder
- ¼ teaspoons Saffron Strands, Slightly Crushed or powder
- (This recipe has been created using high-quality saffron from our own shop, if you like to purchase some saffron, please use the coupon code GREAT-GRANDMA to receive a 5% discount)
- 1 zest of lemon
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
- half a cup of mix pistachio and almond, chopped, roughly powdered or sliced for topping
- Whip egg whites and lemon juice together with a mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into the almond flour then fold into egg whites. I don't do it all at once but maybe in 2-3 batches. Try to keep some air in the egg whites, but at this point, it will form a pretty sticky dough rather than a fluffy meringue.
- Add lemon zest and honey then fold in until combined.
- Line your tray with a baking sheet. Fill your piping bags using the standard nozzle head or the choice of your favourite shape and have fun with the size and shape.
- Decorate your beautiful cookies with the pistachio and almond.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees or 160 if it is fan forced. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes depends on the size of your cookies. Cool and store in an airtight container.
These cookies are even better the next day and are great with coffee or tea!