Beef Chilli con Carne and Saffron
Chilli Con Carne With Saffron
The exact origins of Chilli con Carne (chilli with meat) are unknown. One story links the creation to a Spanish Nun who appeared in hypnotic visions to a couple of Native Americans in the Texan desert and urged them to be baptised and cook this dish.
The truth behind the creation of the ‘pot o’ red’ remains a mystery. However, one thing we are sure of is that Chilli con Carne is a total crowd pleaser and will make hungry bellies very happy! We’ve added to the mystery with the addition of exotic Persian Saffron.
• Premium Persian Saffron
• Slow cooker friendly
• Easy to open re-sealable pouch also keeps the spice blend fresh
Recipe: Chilli con Carne with Saffron
Our Chilli con Carne + Saffron has a raft of delicious spices already prepared for you, to make a wholesome pot of delight. You’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of Chilli con Carne + Saffron spice blend
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 g chuck steak, 1 cm cubes
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, washed, finely chopped
- 500 ml room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Cooking oil of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped to serve
- Lime, quartered, squeezed to serve
- Avocado, cubed, sliced or mashed to serve
- Baby radish, thinly sliced to serve
- Extra salsa or chilli flakes for the heat lovers
- Preheat the oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat, fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the meat and cook until the beef has browned.
- Add the Chilli con Carne + Saffron spice blend, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste and kidney beans to the pan combine all ingredients and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and leave to cook for 60 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Stir occasionally and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with plain rice for a higher carbohydrate meal, or if you’d like a lower-carb option grate a bed of carrot and serve the Chilli con Carne on this, it’s a delicious and crunchy raw contrast to the richness of the Chilli con Carne.
Tip: Use a slow-cooker 6 -10 hours before you want to eat for fuss-free cooking that is waiting for you when you get home.